Do you want to know what hosting means and what it is? Here you will find all the information you need to know!
Unhosting, or web hosting, is the place on the Internet where a website, or several websites, are stored and maintained. Its main purpose is to provide users of the network of networks with a space in which to store information, images, videos or any content that they wish to upload to the Internet. Therefore, we could say that a hosting is, simply put (and as you can see in our infographic on web hosting), the home of a website.
Web hosting is therefore essential, so that, using it, users can accumulate information on the network, which, in turn, is available to other interested parties when accessing the website.
On the other hand, there are a large number of market plans and the web hosting programs or services may vary from country to country. For example, Gigas, Loading or WebEmpresa are some of the hosting companies that we can find in Spain. Others, such as HostGator, are international.
Types of hosting
Web hosting is divided into different types, which you should take into account if you want to set up a website and promote an Internet strategy. Here are the most common ones:
- Shared hosting. This service hosts several websites on the same server, so the resources and capacity of the latter are shared. As the costs are also shared, this is the cheapest option, ideal for those who are taking their first steps in the network of networks, whose sites do not exceed 150,000 visits per month.
- Virtual private servers (VPS hosting). The hosting company uses a virtualization technique by which it divides a real web server into «slices» (virtual servers). Consequently, the latter server is still shared, but the virtual hosting of a user has its own resources and an independent operation of the rest.
- Dedicated hosting. The user who gets this hosting has the complete server for himself, which allows him to enjoy all its resources and capacity, without having to share them with another website. This type of hosting is recommended for those companies that require large websites.
- Cloud hosting. Also known as cloud hosting, this modality allows a website to be hosted on different servers related to each other to create a single platform. Therefore, this multitude of servers act as one. This hosting is very advantageous, because it uses the resources that the website needs at all times, making it suitable for those who want a modifiable hosting service.
- Reseller hosting. This modality, also known as reseller hosting, is aimed at those large users who buy the service with the intention of subsequently selling it to other people. It is ideal, therefore, for web designers or advertisers.
What is the difference between managed and unmanaged hosting?
Hosting companies often make a distinction between managed and unmanaged hosting. But what does each of the two terms mean?
First of all, a managed hosting is one in which the company providing the service is responsible for ensuring the operation of the server, its security and support to whoever hires it. Consequently, its price is higher, because the user can forget about the configuration tasks to focus on the development of his project.
On the other hand, with an unmanaged hosting, the provider only provides the connectivity, resources, tools and the control panel, being the contracting party the one who supervises the server’s operation. The main advantage of this model is its cheaper cost, since the company does not provide assistance or help.
What should I know before hiring a hosting?
Given the variety of existing web hosting, the decision about the hosting we should choose for our site is complicated. For this reason, we are going to present you some aspects to take into account before getting a hosting on the Internet:
- Disk space available on the server for our website.
- The amount of information that users who visit the website every month will be able to download: what is known as monthly transfer.
- The number of email accounts we want to hire for our domain.
- The programming languages and types of databases that can be used for the construction of our website.
- The technical support offered by the provider for the help of the user who hires the web hosting. In this sense, it is essential to have 24 hours a day, seven days a week and 365 days a year telephone support.
- A specific refund guarantee period in case the results and services of the company are not satisfactory for the user.
3G vs 4G
Android vs iOS
Hardware and Software
Router vs Modem